To extend their understanding, the class was given the "Four-Digit Challenge." They were asked make equations that equaled 0 to 50. The requirements were:
- the digits 1, 2, 3, and 4 were required to be in each equation
- each digit could only be used once
- they could use addition, subtraction, and multiplication (no division)
- they could use parenthesis and other grouping symbols
- they could use exponents and square roots
The class was challenged to see if as a group they were able to complete all of the equations from 0 to 50. They broke into groups and set to work.
I wish you could have been in the room to hear all of the wonderful mathematical thinking that was happening. Here is a small glimpse into the type of collaboration that was happening.
Check back for more on the Four-Digit Challenge!